St. Luke was founded in 1884 by a group of German families of the Evangelical faith who had migrated to this area of Missouri due to the bright promise of building a new community where they could pursue farming success and property ownership. Being of sound Christian faith and accustomed to worship and fellowship, they decided to build a church. In 1884 the group around Wellington purchased property that included a home and 25 acres. The congregation authorized the erection of a church in 1885. In 1887, they adopted a resolution for a new, larger building—one that could seat 500, plus room for Sunday School classes and social functions.
In 1959, the congregation built a two-story Christian education building next to the church.
In1976, the original home was razed and rebuilt. It was remodeled in 2004.
By 2003, the congregation determined it was time to consider the future once again. The outcome was the determination to build a community facility on the property that would serve to improve the quality of life for everyone in the community through programming for youth, families, and seniors in Western Lafayette County.
The 18,000 sq ft Community Christian Center opened in 2009 and is operated as a separate non-profit by a board of directors composed of members of the community at large.
Through the years St. Luke evolved from an Evangelical and Reformed Church, to association with the United Church of Christ, to an EFCA denomination affiliated church in 2000 because of the EFCA’s unwavering approach to the inerrancy of the Bible and the desire to be a church that teaches, preaches, and believes the Bible alone and fully.
Through the years St. Luke has been blessed with a long history of family associations also with deep community roots. Many of those families are active today in St. Luke and our ministries.